|1||Real Salt Lake||34||18||13||3||42||19||23||67|
Some questions you may ask me after seeing these projections:
Why do you think Real Salt Lake, currently sitting in 4th place, will beat out Los Angeles to win the West?
- RSL currently has four matches in hand on Los Angeles (15 matches for RSL vs 19 for LA).
- RSL has the best goal differential/match of any team in the league (0.6 goals/match).
- Based on current results, LA has played the easiest schedule in the league so far. For the remainder of the year, they will have the toughest schedule.
- RSL crushed LA 4-1 in their first meeting this year.
- Because of the delayed opening of their stadium, 14 of their remaining 19 matches will be at home.
- KC is undefeated in their first 3 home matches with 2 wins and a draw and only one goal allowed.
- Although winning only 2 matches in their season-opening 11-game road trip, they finished the trip with 3 draws and a spectacular 4-1 victory at FC Dallas. In fact they are currently riding a 7-match unbeaten streak.
- Basically they are the hottest team in the league at the moment and I think they will ride this momentum into a playoff berth.
- The MLS expanded their playoffs to include 10 teams this season. The top three teams from each conference automatically qualify. The four teams with the best overall records that finish outside of their conference's top three also qualify as wild cards. Based on my projection above, that would be Seattle, Columbus, San Jose and Colorado. I'm picking Seattle and Columbus to emerge from the wild card round.
- In the 2nd round I pick RSL to beat Columbus, LA to beat Dallas, Philadelphia to beat Seattle and New York to beat KC.
- Conference finals: RSL over LA and Philly over NY.
- MLS Cup: RSL over Philadelphia.